- 800g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed, or 2kg live mussels, washed and debearded
- 200ml mayonnaise
- 60ml sriracha
- 100g dried bread crumbs
- 100g desiccated coconut
- chopped parsley, for serving
- Pre-heat the grill to high and place the thawed mussels shell-side down onto a baking tray. If you’re using live mussels, steam them until they open, remove one shell, and continue with the process below.
- Mix the mayonnaise and sriracha together – adding more sriracha if you enjoy spicy food.
- Mix the bread crumbs and desiccated coconut together.
- Carefully lift the mussels from the shell and spoon a little spicy mayonnaise into the shell, place the mussel back into the shell and sprinkle generously with the bread crumb mixture.
- Grill for 7-10 minutes or until the bread crumbs are toasted and golden.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
A little tip: If you don’t have sriracha in the house, you can always substitute it with your favourite hot sauce. Just try not to turn your dynamite mussels into nuclear mussels… unless that’s what you prefer! DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD