- 2kg live mussels, washed and de-bearded, or 800g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with the back of a knife
- 1 large lemon, zested and cut into wedges
- 2 red chillies, cut in half
- 1 handful of fresh thyme and parsley sprigs
- 75ml white wine
- 75ml olive oil
- Maldon salt and cracked pepper, to season
- crusty bread, for serving
- Place the mussels into a large roasting tray and scatter over the garlic and lemon zest.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the mussels and place the lemon wedges among the mussels.
- Add the chillies and herbs, and pour over the wine and olive oil.
- Season well with salt and cracked pepper.
- Place the roasting tray directly over moderate coals and allow to steam in the juices.
- Once the mussels have opened, stir through and serve piping hot with crusty bread.
- If using local frozen half-shell mussels, cook for 3-4 minutes.
TIP: If a recipe calls for live mussels, you can always use local frozen mussels too. Ratio: 1 kg live mussels = 400 g frozen half-shell mussels. Simply reduce the cooking time by 2-3 minutes, as frozen mussels are already partially cooked.
DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD