- 30ml olive oil
- 2kg live mussels, washed and de-bearded, or 800g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed
- 1 pineapple, peeled & chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2cm ginger, chopped
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- 400ml coconut milk
- 30ml lemon juice
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- coriander, to garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat and sauté the green pepper, pineapple, garlic, ginger and green chillies for 2-3 minutes.
- If using fresh mussels, add them now and steam for 4 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, lemon juice, basil leaves and salt and bring to the boil.
- If using local frozen half-shell mussels, add them now.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and chopped red chilli.
TIP: Want less bite? Simply remove the seeds from the chillies, as this is where most of the heat will come from. It would also be wise to use gloves when chopping the chillies. (Your eyes and other sensitive areas will thank you later.) DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD