- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5ml smoked paprika
- 1-2 pinches dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 12 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1kg live mussels, washed & de-bearded or 400g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed
- 30g parsley, roughly chopped
- black pepper and salt, to season
- 250g linguine, cooked
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the garlic, smoked paprika, chilli, anchovies and cherry tomatoes until softened, and until the tomatoes and olive oil have reduced to make a light sauce.
- Add the mussels and allow to steam for 5-6 minutes or until the mussels have opened.
- If using local frozen half-shell mussels, only cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the parsley, pepper and salt – toss to coat.
- Mix in the linguine, and add a splash of olive oil.
- Serve piping hot.
A little tip: Closed live mussels after cooking could be that the mussel’s muscle didn’t relax or was pushed closed during cooking. This doesn’t mean that these mussels can’t be served. Before discarding, set aside and test by comparing them to the others on smell, colour and texture (sensory). DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD