- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut into thin rings
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 80ml Pakco curry paste
- 5ml tumeric
- 15ml whole allspice
- 5ml coriander seeds
- 5ml cumin powder
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 litre white vinegar
- 200g sugar
- 100g smooth apricot jam
- 2kg fresh half-shell mussels, steamed & meat removed
- Or 800g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed & meat removed
- In a stainless-steel saucepan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and, when hot, gently sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry paste and spices and fry gently for a few minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the bay leaves, vinegar and sugar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the apricot jam and slowly bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place a layer of the cooked mussels into a deep glass or non-metallic container and pour a little of the hot sauce over it, to cover. Continue layering the mussels and sauce until all the mussels are covered.
- Let cool, place into sterilised jars, and store in the fridge for up to 4 months.
TIP: Pickled mussels can be enjoyed straight from the jar, or turned into a delicious summer salad. Simply add salad leaves of your choice and use some of the pickling liquid as a piquant dressing. DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD