- 60ml olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 2cm pieces and smashed
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons chopped peeled ginger
- 1/4 cup green curry paste
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 30ml brown sugar
- 60ml fish sauce
- 2 kg live mussels, washed and de-bearded, or 800 g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 125ml (1/2 cup) coriander, chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) basil leaves
- crusty bread, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the lemon grass, garlic, ginger and curry paste – cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce and the fresh mussels, cover with a lid and allow to steam until the mussels have opened.
- If using local frozen half-shell mussels, add the mussels and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and stir in the herbs.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.
A little tip: When cooking with fresh ginger (the root that is), use a teaspoon to scrape off the skin. This way you get all the skin off, without digging holes in your fresh ginger. DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD