- 400g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed & deshelled
- 250g flour
- 70g corn flour
- 5ml dried oregano
- 15ml salt
- 7ml white pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- Extra salt, for seasoning
- Lemon wedges, tzatziki dip & pita breads, for serving
- Using kitchen paper, pat the mussels dry and set aside.
- Mix the flour, corn flour, salt, pepper and oregano together.
- Dust the mussels in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Heat the oil to 180 ˚C.
- Fry the mussels in batches in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and floating.
- Drain on kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil and season well with salt.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, tzatziki dip and pita breads.
A little tip: Like a little fire? Try adding some cayenne pepper to the flour mixture before dusting and frying the mussels. The combination of spicy mussels with the cool tzatziki makes for a rather appetising starter.
DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD