- 50ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 10g parsley, roughly chopped
- 15g thyme, pulled off the stalk
- 15g fennel or dill, roughly chopped
- 1kg fresh mussels, scrubbed and debearded, or 400g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed
- 150ml dry white wine
- 60 ml cream
- Bread or skinny fries and mayonnaise, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sweat the onion, shallot and garlic over a low to medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper and chopped herbs.
- Add the mussels and the wine and bring slowly to the boil – steam until the mussels have opened.
- If using half-shell mussels, cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Serve hot with bread and mayonnaise.
TIP: When serving this dish with skinny fries, timing is very important. To ensure that everything is served hot, start heating the oil for the fries before you begin with the recipe, and start frying once you add the mussels to the pot. DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD