- 2kg live mussels, cleaned and de-bearded or 800g local frozen half-shell mussels, thawed
- 125ml BBQ sauce
- 10ml salt
- 2ml ground black pepper
- 20ml freshly chopped parsley
- wooden skewers
- Steam the fresh mussels on a high heat in a large pot just until the shells open. Do not overcook.
- If you are using frozen half-shell mussels, let them thaw completely and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the mussels from their shells.
- Coat the mussels in the BBQ sauce and season well with salt and black pepper.
- Skewer 6 – 8 mussels lengthwise onto the wooden skewers.
- Lightly grill the mussels over hot coals for 40 seconds to 1 minute per side.
- Remove from the fire, squeeze over some lemon juice, and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
A little tip: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about an hour before skewering, to stop them from splintering. DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD